Saturday, January 31, 2009

How "CORN"-y is that?!?

We went for another flouroscopy last Monday and as it turns out, we just have to thicken his formula to honey consistency.Which is very hard to do with cereal and formula alone.So after all the drama of having a severe cold and trying to get to the bottom of the breathing dilemma...add a terrible case of the DI-RIPPENS (as we so affectionately call diarrhea at our house)!!!We started Scout on this stuff called Thicken Up...to thicken his formula.Two tablespoons and I'm talkin' sludge!!The very next day, he had horrible diarrhea and it continued for a week thereafter! Well, I called the doctor and the nurse suggested that maybe it was just the remnants of his cold;just a viral thing since there was no fever,vomiting or lethargy. So she just said to be sure he didn't get dehydrated. We started giving him Pedialyte(with Thicken Up,too)and of course, he LOVED it!So, problem solved,right? NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!The diarrhea rocked on for 3 more days!!And as a result...a terrible little case of diaper rash debuted on his little bottom!!!Poor baby! We had had enough of it, so we started our OWN research!(which for 1st time parents consists of massive Googling and WebMDing!)Come to find out....

OUR SWEET BABY WAS HAVING AN ALLERGY TO CORN!!!!!!

Thicken Up is pure CORNSTARCH! And Pedialyte contains a corn derivative,too!!!After much poking around on the good ol' web, I also learned that he may not necessarily be allergic to corn....it's just that corn is a known allergen and you're not supposed to introduce allergens of any kind into their still developing systems until at least 6 months. UGH! I felt horrible about doing that to him but then I realized we were only following our doctors advice. Why would they not warn us of this being at LEAST a possibility??We are now with a new pediatrician,by the way. I shouldn't have to diagnose my own child!!I feel like we were being led to this new doc anyway. She has been recommended to us by several moms, my brother went to her, and then, on accident...I happened upon her Facebook page!!!So I really feel like that's where we are supposed to be. He goes on the 16th, so I'm really looking forward to meeting her.

This Sunday at church, they are having New Arrivals Day for all the babies born in 2008. There will be a short slide show and then a Dedication.We are very excited about this.In fact, we currently will have 20 people there just from our families alone. It's so nice to know that we have such a loving family. And ya know, even with the economy being the way it is, being on a strict budget,working one less day a week, making less but now having to spend more......even with all the unknowns.......I still feel more blessed than I ever have!

No comments: